Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week 4


My training program suffered a serious set-back this week. Saturday was a rain-and-snow-mixed day, and it snowed heavily all day Sunday. We had a couple of sunny afternoons last week, but I was studying for an exam in my French class, for which I felt badly under-prepared. I didn't ride all week, and didn't even make it to my Thursday evening yoga class.

I did go out for a mid-day walk around town on Sunday, to fetch some groceries and take some pretty pictures. There is about eight inches of snow this evening. Earlier in the day it was fairly wet but coming down fast all day, and now it's freezing up.

Not my bikes
The forecast is for more snow early in the week, but warmer, sunnier days by the end of next week. I won't be going for the 30-mile rides I had planned, but I will venture out on my snow-bike. I will. Really.

VanderYacht Park



Someone hardier than me was out riding, but left
the bike lane for the sidewalk as they crossed the bridge

Main Street was snow-ploughed fairly early in the morning, and even the bike lanes were cleared, but the lumpy snow was turned over on the sidewalk. It was still loose and soft when I was out walking, but once the snow freezes over night, it will become difficult and ankle-turning to walk on, and pretty near impossible to bicycle over without a heavy bike and the fattest, most rugged tires available.









My schedule has also been thrown off a bit because, now that I've signed up for a health care plan, I have to catch up on all the preventive-care exams I've been skipping for the past three years. I had a "well-woman" check-up, a mammogram, and a blood-draw for lab tests that required fasting over night.

Everything's coming out normal and healthy. I've lost three pounds since I began my training schedule. My blood pressure and pulse have come up since the last time they were checked, but that was the time when it turned out I had walking pneumonia.

That time, the ARNP said she was about ready to send me to the Emergency Room if my heart rate didn't go above 50 beats per minute soon. So faster is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment