Saturday, February 1, 2014

Spring Training Kick-off

This weekend is the official start of my training program for the Red-Bell 100, a ten-mile ride each day. On Saturday I rode a twelve-mile loop over rolling hills northwest of Ferndale. The morning was foggy and overcast with temperatures around 38F. This time of year the scenery is a bit dreary - lots of muddy, mown fields and bare blackberry vines, but there were eagles overhead, herons rising from the marshes, and flocks of white trumpeter swans browsing in the corn stubble.

It's not a bad idea to bring a map along if you're meandering around in this area, because it's easy to get mixed up. I rode out of town on Main Street, turned left on Douglas Road and rode a big curve on farm roads that eventually turned into Olson Road. I crossed Church and Thornton Roads then headed back home via Olson and Douglas again, circling around so much I can't really Google-map it.

Now I know how much I've missed the regular one-mile hill-climbs I did when I was commuting. I had some trouble with some of the hills, and even had to dismount and walk up the steepest bit near the top of one climb on Barr Road. But then there were also a couple of downhills where I bent down over the handlebars and coasted up to 35mph without even trying.

I can also see I'm going to have to get the rest of my life in order if I'm going to stick to my training schedule. After my ride, I had to scramble to get to the laundromat and back before the last bus home. And I'll need to get organized about meal-planning, shopping and cooking before I get to the phase in my training where I'm getting hungry every three hours.

The summer I rode the Seattle-to-Portland, by the middle of June I could eat a gallon of ice cream in a week and still lose weight. This year I'm resolved not to do that. Since my ride is supposed to benefit disadvantaged local kids and third-world subsistence farmers, it seems really wrong to let bicycling be an excuse to eat like a glutton.

Not sure yet what Sunday's ride will be - there is a possibility of snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment