Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Unrelated Incidents

Monday night on my way home I came upon this unfortunate scene near the Cost Cutter grocery store in Ferndale. The bike wasn't damaged and it didn't look like there had been an accident with a car. Maybe the rider suddenly couldn't stand fighting the strong winds any more and abandoned. Or maybe he was arrested for not having proper lights and reflectors, although I seriously doubt Ferndale police enforce bicycle safety laws so rigorously.

I gathered up the bike and parcels. The food would have frozen overnight, in case the rider wanted to come back in the morning.



These photos are from a scene I happened upon about a month ago, when I went out for coffee on a Sunday morning. This is the intersection of Main Street and Hovander Road, below the railroad overpass. When I'm biking home from Bellingham I frequently come through this intersection, taking the left fork of the Y to make a tricky left turn just past the barriers, to cross the bridge on Main Street.

This must have happened early Saturday morning. It's difficult to tell where the car was coming from, or where the driver intended to go. Possibly he/she came up on the intersection too fast and was confused by all the arrows, walls and barriers. Or maybe he/she tried a free-form U-turn. Some sort of mental impairment seems likely, too.

The lamp post hasn't been replaced yet. It was more decorative than functional, though, so maybe an upgrade is being considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment