Friday, December 20, 2013

Snow Day


About midnight last night it started to snow. I stayed up late writing last-minute holiday cards, but I resolved to get out early to play in the snow a little, as the forecast is for rain on Saturday.
In the morning there was about four inches on the ground, and more falling steadily. "Early" turned out to be around 11am. I bundled up and took Rosebud, my old K2 hybrid, out for a little ride around town. I wasn't the first bike-rider out, and there were lots of dog-walkers about, too.

A Bend in the River
These aren't black & white photos, it was just a grey-scale kind of day.

I rode about five miles along the river, on the paths in VanderYacht Park, then stopped for coffee and pastry at the Haggen food court. Since I'm not a drinker, the food court, Woods Coffee, the library and the yoga studio are the centers of my social life here in Ferndale.

Looks like someone almost went in to the river during the morning commute. The car didn't seem to be skidding out of control, maybe the roadway hadn't been cleared yet and the driver couldn't find the lane. Or maybe some moron just wanted a closer view of the river. This is why I get very nervous riding around cars in snowy weather.

My leg and back muscles were straining to get through deeper snow on soft ground, but it was my hands and wrists that got really tired and sore.

My Little Town
There was a lot of car traffic for mid-day, and the main streets were already sloppy and dirty. By tomorrow it will be raining, the snow will be mostly gone, and the streets will be slushy and nasty.

But it's pretty and fun for one day.
Home again



No comments:

Post a Comment