Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What I Wore

I forgot to include some boring technical advice in my kayaking post: what clothing would work for a twelve-mile bike ride, followed by a kayak excursion, then a twelve-mile ride back home, with minimal luggage and wardrobe change requirements?

Instructions from the Boating Center said to be prepared for any kind of weather, meaning to bring a rain jacket and warm fleece layer; to avoid denim (cotton kills!), and to wear old shoes that could get wet. They suggested wearing a swimming suit under warmer outer layers, and said they would provide floatation jackets, a waterproof skirt fitted to the kayak, and wet suits if needed. I've always heard that the water in Puget Sound never gets warmer than 50-55F, even in summer, but I think Bellingham Bay is a bit warmer than that.

I decided to wear my Ibex wool knicker-length cycling pants and a long-sleeved UnderArmour shirt. I had taken the pants to a tailor shop to have the elastic let out, so they aren't so pinched-in at the waist and don't chafe, but the tight-fitting UnderArmour made me look a bit like I was carrying a spare bike-tire-tube around my middle, so I vainly chose to wear a looser-fitting synthetic shirt on top. I brought along a pair of old running shoes, and a rain jacket and fleece top in a pannier.

As things turned out, on Saturday afternoon temperatures were in the low 80's with no clouds in sight. Even out on the water the two shirts were a bit warm, and I left the jacket and fleece behind, but the wool pants were a good choice. I could have used a wide-brimmed hat and some hypoallergenic sun-block.

No comments:

Post a Comment