Friday, January 3, 2014

Oversharing? maybe

The purpose of this blog is to share my personal experiences as a middle-aged female bicycle commuter and recreational cyclist. Sometimes, especially in the winter when I'm not riding very much, I get preoccupied with weather reports or accounts of activities that are only indirectly related to cycling. Sometimes I've written about personal crises like getting evicted; and often about general life circumstances like going to school, job hunting or job changes, where bicycling has been an essential part of getting by and coping with changes.

At times I think maybe I get a little bit too personal or off-topic, but I'm concerned with basic, practical day to day realities. So one of those times might be coming up right now, just so you're warned. Here goes.

Along with the usual explanations beginning bicyclists receive about why you shouldn't wear underwear with cycling shorts, authorities usually suggest using chamois cream like "Butt Butt'r" to prevent chafing. To me this always seemed like a good way to make a big mess of an expensive pair of spandex shorts and I never tried it, but now that I'm over fifty years old I sometimes do feel a need for something to protect and sooth sensitive, delicate skin.

My recommendation: good old-fashioned KY jelly. Just a little bit because it seems to melt down and spread enough to lube a Trident submarine. And that's probably enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment