Sunday, February 26, 2012

Star-gazing

Every night this past week I've been distracted with star-gazing on my ride home from work.  There's been a crescent moon, and I recognized Venus near it, but tonight another larger bright light appeared.  Jupiter, according to a Google news item I just read, and Mercury and Mars should show up soon, too.  Sunday night was clear, cold and windy - snow is threatening again - but it's been a treat to see the planets on my way home.  I'd never have noticed them if I wasn't out on my bike at night, and I'm too lazy and comfort-loving to bundle up and go out in the cold just to look for them.

PART II - March 9

Last week the crescent moon and planets were to the northwest as I rode home.  Last night there was a big yellow full moon near the horizon to the southeast, so it was behind me where I couldn't see it most of the way.

This sky-watching is an interesting change from the first year I tried bicycle-commuting.  Then I lived near the intersection of Lakeway and Lincoln Streets, worked near Bellis Fair Mall, at the corner of Meridian and Bakerview, and was taking a community college class by Cordata Parkway.  Meaning I rode from Whatcom County's second worst area for vehicle and pedestrian accidents, to the first worst.  Sometimes in the morning I would ride down one-way Holly Street through downtown.  Once I got through the first light at Ellis Street, I could get going down the hill at the speed of traffic, and ride along among the cars, while keeping a sharp look out for drivers making right turns, or cruising for parking, or trucks stopping to make morning deliveries.  It was an exhilarating half-mile that got my adrenaline going so I arrived at work or school feeling lively and alert.

I also felt a lot more twitchy and defensive, though.  Now when I have a good tailwind on the way home, I can kind of zone out riding in the dark.  I'm surprised when I find myself on the Smith Road overpass, heading in to the home stretch to Ferndale.

No comments:

Post a Comment