Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yesterday's Weather

Sunday evening - my parking spot at work
All day today the wind has been gusting between 25 and 55 mph, blowing powdery, sandy snow.  I ventured out to the laundromat, which was closed, and the cold made my fingers ache in a three-block walk.  The trip wasn't a complete waste, though.  Along the way, I saw what I thought was a huge snowball, about three feet in diameter, skidding and tumbling across an icy street like a tumbleweed.  I caught up to it in the Pioneer Center parking lot, and it turned out to be a white garbage bag filled with styrofoam packaging.  It was blown around in circles for a while until I got ahead of it, caught it and returned it to the dumpster it came from.

Little birds were chirping frantically in the alley this morning.
I left some breadcrumbs outside, and they beat a path to my door.



Monday I walked to the grocery store, with a rest stop at a coffee shop.  I thought the WTA buses wouldn't be running because of the MLK Day holiday, but I was wrong.  Still, I didn't feel like going far from Ferndale.
The Main St. bridge over the Nooksack gets icy and slick.
The sidewalk isn't much better for biking - too much lumpy packed snow.




A view of the river from the bridge.

Major streets are kept clear, but the ploughs pile dirty, crusty, lumpy snow on the bike lanes and sidewalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment