Wednesday, December 21, 2011

other news

Just read Adventure Cycling Association's email newsletter, Bike Bits.  Which reminded me that although I will probably ride more than 6000 miles in 2011, I haven't been outside of Whatcom County since August of 2010, when I went away to Bicycle Mechanic School in Ashland, Oregon.  I'll have to do something about that very soon.

The ACA newsletter includes excerpts from a journal kept by a young man, much braver than I am, who took off on an extended bike tour after losing his job.  His journal looks like a true work of art.  Here's a link:  http://www.coldsplinters.com/2011/11/pct-moleskins

Also, some medical speculation about the health hazards of cycling:  http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/274/16/1320.1.full.pdf+html.  I've read before that doctors were concerned about the affect bicycling might have on women's moral character, as well as our mental and physical health, but never realized that balancing on a bicycle could be so mentally taxing for men.

No comments:

Post a Comment