Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School Season

Some early autumn color
It's been a year since I was laid off from my full-time job, and almost six months that I've been a part-time barista.  My unemployment benefit year ended at the end of August, and I should be eligible for extended benefits, but there is some hold-up because of my variable hours - the Employment Security people have a question about a reduction in my work hours after I worked extra shifts to cover for other workers.  The delay isn't painful, though, because most of my income is from my job - I usually only receive $5-$50 a week in benefits.  But I think it's better to keep a continuous claim going until I can find a real full-time job.  I think.

The advantage to weekend work is that I have week-day business hours free for job-hunting, and also for play-time.  I missed most of the local festivals and farmer's markets this summer because I had to work, but now that the kids are returning to school I can have quiet, uncrowded bike rides and visits to parks and beaches for most of September and into October.

This has always been my favorite season, although when I was younger I often went through a moody and excitable phase in the fall.  I spent most of my twenties working and studying at the University of Washington (in the 1980's).  Fall quarter was always a time of changes:  new schedules, new students, new professors and grad students arriving, while others left for academic or professional jobs in other cities.  Plus the start of football season, Hell Week on Greek Row, freshman dormies having their first experiences with college drinking parties . . .  And then the mellow late summer sun, between foggy mornings and chilly evenings.  So I often became a little hyper, sentimental and melancholy all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment