Friday, January 7, 2011

I won! I won! I won!

Sort of.  The judge wouldn't issue an eviction order.  I was arguing that my landlord's 20-day notice was retaliatory, which is prohibited for ninety days after a dispute, under certain conditions.  It's an odd thing about Washington state rental law - if a tenant is on a month-to-month rental agreement, they can be asked to leave with twenty days notice for no reason at all.  But if notice is given within ninety days after a tenant makes a complaint or assertion of rights under the law, it may be considered retaliatory, which is illegal.  This means my landlord only has to wait until the end of March without picking a quarrel, then they can give me another 20-day notice and I will have no defense.

So I plan to move in the next ninety days. But that's a lot better than the big blue tarp plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment