Friday, December 31, 2010

Cheers - 2011

My intention with this blog is to give an honest account of my every day experiences as a car-less bicyclist.  I want casual cyclists (if any ever actually read this) to know they can bike to work two or three days a week, save some money, improve their health, pollute less, burn less gas, and have some fun, all without becoming a fanatic, a radical or making a complete life-style change.

I post lots of scenic photos of Bellingham's sunny winter days and beautiful bike routes and trails because riding my bike is the best therapy and escape I know when I'm frustrated, discouraged, depressed, bored, angry, stir-crazy, whatever.  But I've been avoiding posting about an unexpected blow that hit me in October - partly for fear of jinxing myself, partly because I didn't want to let loose a libelous, flaming rant that might make more trouble for me (if anyone ever actually read it).  But it seems dishonest to leave this out.

My landlord is trying to evict me for keeping my bicycle in the living room of my apartment. There is a bicycle storage area in the complex, but I was never told bicycles were banned indoors, until the manager confronted me on my doorstep in October.  I objected that the storage area wasn't secure or convenient; later I discovered that my keys don't even work in the lock.  I tried to negotiate with the owner and managers.  Too late, I was given a 20-day notice.  I am contesting the eviction and have a court date next Friday.

I think I have a good case, but people keep telling me that renters have no rights.

So, things can only get better.

Or, worse things have happened.

Or other cheerful sentiments of that nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment