Friday, July 25, 2014

Un jour sans

More than one, honestly. I didn't ride at all the week after the Red-Bell 100. Since then I've been riding three or four times a week, 25-35 miles each time. The new softer, wider saddle I put on my bike seems much better for my middle-aged sit-bones, though my knees feel a bit unstable. The twinge in my right knee has gone away, but my left knee seems to slip out of place a little, and I get some pinches and twinges when I sleep turned on my side, which I take as a sign that my bones and ligaments are realigning themselves into better position.

We've had alternating heat waves with temperatures in the mid-to-high-90's, followed by rainy spells to remind us what being a Pacific Northwesterner is really all about.

Supposedly on Wednesday we had record-breaking rainfall, but I didn't notice particularly. It seemed normal.

So I am gradually returning to riding, and wondering what will be my next little adventure. In the meantime, some pix of the ever-evolving Nooksack River woodpile.

It is evolving, too. A bare willow tree trunk is sprouting branches, and there are clumps of Chinese knotweed, an invasive noxious weed, getting established in the middle of the river, which is silty and low whenever the rain stops.

The bird life is most interesting - iridescent black/blue/green/purple-backed swallows with creamy breasts, some kind of crested brown bird with a yellow and cream throat and belly, and maybe some bars of red on the wings and tail. Much more interesting to watch than the usual gulls and pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment