Friday, July 4, 2014

A Few More Observations


  • Since I began training for the Red-Bell 100 back in February, I've logged more than 2100 miles. Looking back at my training calendar, it seems I usually alternated weeks riding minimal mileage because of bad weather or school conflicts, with weeks when I crammed in two long rides on the weekend, plus added extra miles to my commute to campus or errand running trips during the week.
  • No doubt I would have done better building my distances more consistently, but this is the Pacific Northwest. Besides, it was a lot easier to get motivated and stay committed when I rode with Team in Training than when I was riding alone this year. Although, probably my biggest contribution to the team back then was just that I always showed up, ready and eager to ride.
  • On my last few longer training rides, of 62+ miles, my sit bones started to feel sore and achey. I finally decided to order a softer saddle from the Terry catalog, but didn't receive it in time for the century ride (my own fault for procrastinating). This afternoon, after taking a five-day rest, I cleaned up my bike, put the new saddle on and discovered the old one was broken - the nylon shell base was cracked at the back of the cut-out. It probably lost its springiness and shock-absorbing property because of the crack, which made my butt hurt. Besides, the rails were scraped and corroded and the white dye was rubbing off the cover, making it look sort of pinkish. In short, after four years of year-round riding, it was worn out.
  • The old saddle was a Terry Falcon X; the new one is a Terry Liberator X. I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as the Fourth of July rain blows over.
  • Did you know the intercom system on Amtrak trains can pick up cell phone signals? Don't use your cell phone on the train, especially if you're the kind of person who uses the word "like" on average more than twice per sentence. Because, like, you know, she was all like, you know, and then she got all you know, like that. And then she goes, she goes, whoa you know, like that, and . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment