Monday, June 2, 2014

Rambling

. . . but not very often.
 Last week I made up for my short mileage the previous week, but now I think I'd better ease off a bit. I rode almost 170 miles over six days, with only one rest day, but never felt up to breaking the 62-mile barrier. I really need to work up to at least an 80-mile ride before attempting the Red-Bell Century ride. I think if I allow myself at least two days off this week, I'll have the energy (and time) for a long ride next weekend.

My longest ride last week was 45 miles on Sunday, when I rode eastward to Evernook - the combined communities of Everson and Nooksack, with a bit of Sumas along the way. I meant to ride farther, but hadn't had a good dinner the night before, and not much breakfast either, so after about twenty-five miles I started to fade. Memo for next week: Highway 546 wasn't a good choice when I turned homeward. Lots of fast-moving big pick-ups, semis, and hay-trucks on a narrow, two-lane road.

I'll admit I probably would have hated growing up in an area like this back when I was a sulky, discontented teenager, but the ride reminded me of how trapped and stir-crazy I used to feel living in Bellingham without a car. Once I bought I bicycle and started rambling around a bit I got to see parts of the county I'd never visited before and felt a return of some freedom.

On the plus side, I'm getting used to riding clipped in again, and my knees are feeling better. On the negative, the end of the school year is coming up and in the next few weeks I will have some assignments due, one exam, and a comprehensive final exam the week before the big event date. So I really need to get organized and work diligently to have time for everything. Starting right after I finish this post.

A peony farm near Sumas

No comments:

Post a Comment