Monday, May 26, 2014

More Excuses

Memorial Day, 2014
Barely made 100 miles this week. I've been feeling a twinge in a certain spot in my right knee, which usually means the saddle is too low. I raised it about 2mm and the twinge went away, but after riding that way for several days I noticed that both my hands were starting to go numb after about ten miles of riding, my neck and shoulders got stiff and sore, and I had some numbness and pain in my legs after riding. Sunday, after a moderate hill-climb about six miles into a ride, I felt stabbing twinges in a couple of spots in my spine. I stopped and put the saddle back down. Rode another 25 miles, going easy. My right knee popped on a small uphill, but feels OK otherwise; after the ride my spine is a bit crackly, but no phantom pains or numbness in my shoulders, arms and legs and no pinched spots in the vertebrae.

These tiny adjustments can make a huge difference in comfort, but sometimes it takes a lot of tinkering and trade-offs to find the sweet spots. And I expect the exact right set-up can change depending on the season, fitness, fatigue and injury, the type of terrain I'm riding, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment