Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hybrid Power

Since moving to Ferndale, I'm commuting about sixteen miles round-trip, four days a week, to my barista job, about the same distance I was riding to the full-time job I was laid off from last September.  I'm riding in the opposite direction now, heading toward Bellingham in the morning, and returning northbound in the afternoon.  I've had headwinds in the morning this week, but riding home after work has been a breeze.  On weekdays I can cheat a little and load my bike on a commuter bus on the way home, but on Saturday and Sunday bus service to Ferndale is too limited, so I have no back-up mode of transport.  Some service cuts are due to be restored in June, but I'm not sure yet what difference that will make on the weekend.

Meanwhile, I still rely on my trusty old hybrid bike.


The ride is more rural and woodsy now, but near my new job there's an interesting new feature in the landscape.  Alpha Engineers has installed a hybrid wind and solar power generator on Airport Way.
According to the company web- site, the station is used to charge electric vehicles.  It was completed in the spring of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment