Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bike to Work & School Day

This Friday is Bike to Work & School Day.  Earlier this winter I volunteered to help out, but when my landlord troubles progressed from mean notes from the managers to legal notices, I decided to concentrate on my own issues.

When my landlady first began complaining about my bike, I tried some creative problem-solving.  I contacted some housing assistance offices and people connected with cycling advocacy groups or bike clubs, proposing some sort of bicycle-friendly co-op housing.  The response at the time was resounding silence, though eventually I did get in to my new place on the recommendation of a friend who is active in bike and pedestrian advocacy and transportation planning.

I know that clubs or advocacy groups can't be all-purpose support groups, but I've come to feel that events like Bike to Work & School Day are really just pep rallies, and I don't want to proselytize unless I'm able to offer some real support to anyone I might convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment