Thursday, September 5, 2024

O Pattern of Life Indelible













Once the Northwest Washington Fair left the county, it seemed like a good time for a peaceful Sunday ride to Lynden. I have enjoyed attending the Fair in the past, but as I get older I find I dislike crowds and commotion. Also, it seemed like kind of a MAGA atmosphere this year and I don't fit in too well with that crowd.

The petunias are spectacular as usual, and I tried out the coffee shop at the Lynden Firehouse arts center. The coffee was good, but they need a better selection of sweet pastries.

On the way home I rode down Hannegan, and got to try out the new roundabout at Smith Road. The bike lane markings are clear and the curb cuts are well-placed. The crosswalks hadn't been painted in yet and there was a lot of bare dirt that could use some plantings and landscaping. But pedestrians, bikes and cars will all be able to flow through the intersection smoothly.

A couple of weekends later I came through the roundabout by car on a rainy Saturday. (I was on my way to join a Million Trees Project work party, digging up blackberry roots in the rain at the Rutsatz Forest Reserve.)

A work crew was out at the roundabout putting up some signs and lighting, I think. Traffic was only allowed on one lane on Smith Road, and it was very slow and backed up. The crew had several big, white trucks that almost looked like fire trucks, and at least one very tall lift-arm bucket thing raised high over the safety island in the middle.

I'm not sure what they were doing. I guess I'll have to ride out that way again soon. This is the view from Smith Road, looking back at Hannegan:

Left

Center
Right

No comments:

Post a Comment