Saturday, July 30, 2022

Hot Tip for Staying Cool

Find your bliss.

Finally, summer weather has arrived. Last winter when my furnace broke down I had no heat during the holiday storms, until my landlord finally installed a new high-tech, programmable thing that also has AC, or some sort of cooling function, for the summer. I haven't really figured out how to set it, though. So far I've been making do by keeping the blinds closed and my apartment shut up while I'm out during the day, then opening up the door and windows and turning on fans to get a cross-draft when it's cooler in the evening. Most mornings I wake up at about 5am and open the door wide to let in some cool air. Since last week day-time temperatures have been in the mid-to-high 80's, though, and that isn't enough any more. I've figured out how to turn on the fan and cooling function on the new furnace (or whatever it is) but it hasn't been very effective. Sometimes it resets itself, and when I check it, I'll find the indoor temperature is set at 82F. I've had trouble sleeping a few nights. Last night I gave up and went out for a late-night stroll at about one in the morning. The night walk was a refreshing change, and it's nice being up early, but then I have to take an afternoon nap.

My best solution for over-heating is an old-fashioned red rubber hot-water bottle, which I fill up with cool water and leave in the refrigerator. Normally I use it for neck and back pain, or for any other sore, swollen joint, but it's perfect for a fast cool-down too. This morning I went for a 30-mile bike ride in the cool part of the morning, but my apartment was pretty warm when I got home around noon, and I was red-hot and dripping with sweat. After a cool shower and a nap, I woke up with a stiff neck and mild headache developing, which can be symptoms of dehydration or heat stress. A cool drink and the cold pack on my head, neck and shoulders cleared that up immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment