Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Last Summer (2018)

What's left of the old Georgia Pacific plant, summer 2018
Smith Rd. & Northwest Rd.


The wise Kurt Vonnegut, once said "Never forget that we were put on Earth to fart around." And I did a lot of that last summer, along with working (where I don't fart around much, strangely).

Near the end of August Whatcom County had a spell of hot weather, along with smoke from wild fires in the North Cascades, Olympic Mountains and lower BC. The haze from the fires smothered the county for several days, making me feel sick and sluggish. A lot of people I know were putting off biking, running, hiking and other outdoor activities because of worry about the health effects of the smoke. A few rainy spells in September dampened the fires and cleared the smoke a bit. When the weather turned mild and sunny again I decided to take a last chance vacation and return to Vancouver Island, to finish what I started last summer, and ride the complete Galloping Goose Trail. It was the last week of September, exactly one year from my previous trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment