Monday, October 5, 2015

Quebec City - Sunday

My original plan had been to spend a couple of days in Quebec City, then bicycle alone back to Montreal on the north side of the St. Laurence River. The CycleCanada tour took a 300-mile-long, curving route southeast from Montreal to Quebec City, but I figured that the distance would be about half that if I rode closer to the river, and I could ride it in three stages, maybe allowing for rest-days to explore the towns I stayed at along the way. Back home I had gone as far as identifying towns that seemed interesting, looking up some affordable places to stay, and printing out Google maps. But I didn't print out directions and details, find a good road map, or make any reservations.

I had also upgraded my AT&T pay-by-the-month phone plan to an international plan that gave me phone service in Canada, and also 4G wireless, but I soon discovered I couldn't count on getting internet access. The motels we stayed at gave us a wifi password, but access was slow on my phone, with its barely 2x4 inch screen. This meant I probably couldn't research my route or make arrangements on the fly.

Besides, after seeing the amount of road construction underway, and our experiences with detours along the tour route, I wasn't sure the routes I'd sketched out would actually be there. I suppose suddenly finding myself alone shook my confidence, too. Although I did feel physically able to ride back to Montreal, I decided to abandon my adventurous plan.

My first errand on Sunday morning was to visit La Gare du Palais, the central train station in Quebec City, where I made reservations for me and my bike to ride back to Montreal. My ticket was $90 Canadian, and I paid another $25 cash for my bike when I boarded early on Monday morning, for a three-hour return trip.

I still had one day to explore Quebec City, anyway, and I spent it riding around the port and marina near the train station, walking-touring the open-air market of the Old Port, and the Lower Town, a village-like network of cobbled streets lined with small cafes, boutiques, galleries and souvenir shops. From there, I bicycled along the new bike path that curves around Cap Diamant beside rue Champlain.

Once I was alone, I kind of went camera-crazy and took lots of snaps. Looking at them now, I regret not spending more time in the city, and chickening out on the solo-ride to Montreal. But that gives me good reason to return soon.

Lower Town shops
Trompe l'oeuil mural in Lower Town

This is for all those Fashion Vigil-Aunties out there
Overpass with pull-out space on the Champlain bike/ped path
Wild horses along the Champlain Path


Recycled-plastics art

Marche du Vieux-Port




No comments:

Post a Comment