Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Somewhat belatedly

Classes began two weeks ago at the community college, and I had my first quiz yesterday. It's been difficult to adjust to studying after several years of working routine, repetitive jobs where I didn't have to think about what I was doing, then spending my off hours scanning on-line job listings and randomly browsing through websites. At first it was hard to focus and retain material from reading and in class, but my mind is beginning to recover.

With classes scheduled roughly 4-7pm, I can ride the bus to campus, but I need my bicycle to ride home in the evening. Since the bus runs only once an hour, I'm finding the best plan is to leave home early in the afternoon and get to campus at least an hour and a half early. Otherwise, I'm likely to get preoccupied with studying or doing chores at home, then suddenly realize I have to rush to catch the school bus. If I missed the bus by a few minutes, I could still ride my bike all the way, but I'd arrive just before the bell, sweaty, flustered and disorganized. By taking an earlier bus I have time to study on campus before class.

The Skillshare Faire convened at Hovander Park the weekend before school started. On Saturday the weather was warm and sunny, and I hear the fair was crowded with resourceful, multi-talented people demonstrating food production, preparation and preservation, skills in textiles, wood-working, jewelry-making, as well as music, dancing and much more. Foolishly, I chose to do boring errands that day, and went to the fair on Sunday, when it was cold, wet and stormy, and only a few resilient and dedicated participants were still there.
The llama wagon

A bicycle-powered grain mill

Next year I'll plan to be back on a sunny day, but it was still worth walking in the rain to see the remaining exhibits, and test out my new winter coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment