Monday, April 8, 2013

Shame on me

From the pedestrian overpass above Alabama Street.
This is probably the hardest hill-climb in Bellingham.
The Railroad Trail angles up Alabama Hill, but it's a steep railroad grade.
The last weekend of March, when we had a deceptively spring-like spell of weather, I set myself a small challenge: three consecutive thirty-mile rides. On Friday and Saturday I combined errands in Bellingham with a little trail-riding in Whatcom Falls Park. By Sunday I was feeling lazy and heavy in the legs, especially on hills, but I still rode about twenty-five miles around Ferndale. I just wanted to see how I felt doing some longish rides on consecutive days, rather than shorter weekday rides and a long weekend ride. I felt pretty good. I'd like to increase my distances so I can do some weekend trips over the summer.

My Sunday ride also fell into the job-search category. I rode around some shopping centers, office parks and light industrial/warehouse complexes that are within a comfortable bike-commuting distance, taking notes on businesses, which I research online when I get home. I have found some interesting leads this way, but nothing that's paid off yet.

Then the weather turned stormy again, and I have been shamefully lazy. I've been checking out DVDs from the library, so I can watch movies on my computer at home. I spent hours playing Scrabble on Facebook and cruising Craigslist, but I have actually found more interesting job advertisements on Craig's than anywhere else recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment