Saturday, March 9, 2013

Groundhog's report


Two consecutive days of sun. Tomorrow Daylight Saving Time begins. I have turned off my alarm because I can hear birds singing outside in the morning. Spring is here.

My Saturday excursion was a 25-mile ramble from Ferndale, along Marine Drive and around the Elizabeth Park neighborhood in Bellingham. This used to be one of the prettier views of Bellingham Bay, from the place where Broadway dead-ends above Squalicum Marina, but it's getting to be very cluttered and industrial looking. Still, it's a pleasant spot to sit and rest a bit before turning back home.

I guess economic re-development has its own beauty, though, and maybe sausage-making is pretty, too.

My throat is still painful. I was beginning to think I had mumps, but my face didn't swell. Probably just my tonsils. Then Thursday night my eyes began to burn and itch, and I unconsciously rubbed them until suddenly they turned red, swollen and goopy, like pink-eye. It's not fair I should have to relive these childhood illnesses now, when I've finally cleaned up my life and learned to take better care of my health. But I think I'm beating them with home remedies, rest, and good food and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment