Thursday, October 4, 2012

Car-centricity

Maybe it's not my place to be judgmental, but I laughed when I first saw this place, in a small shopping center built by the Lummi tribe on Rural Avenue near the Slater Road I-5 overpass. Customers do have to get out of their cars and walk in to the store to purchase alcohol.
Besides the drive-through, there is a seafood market, cafe, and arts & crafts shop, which I guess give the place more redeeming social value.



I've been spending too much time indoors on the computer, especially considering that the weather continues sunny and breezy, in the low-to-mid-70's. This morning I took a break to walk to the grocery store and coffee shop.

This was the scene on Main Street:






Every day during my six weeks at the bike shop, I saw another bike with mechanical features I'd never touched before - a surrey, tandems, internal gears, coaster brakes, knee-height fixed-gear children's bikes and more. So even though I'm not a car-fancier, I can't help but admire the care and skill that goes in to restoring and maintaining these cars.

I also can't help but wonder what kind of gas mileage they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment