Friday, September 14, 2012

My Other Job

At the C-Shop in Birch Bay:


Besides a cafe and candy store, the C-Shop (sometimes) has (or had) bike rentals and a repair shop. The owner wants to clean out the old shop and offer new bikes for rent, plus a bike repair shop, next summer. So I've been working a couple of days a week fixing up old bikes for sale, and sorting through boxes of new, used and vintage parts and accessories. It's kind of a candy store for bike geeks.


I'm still a beginner mechanic, but have been able to complete some simpler repairs, rehabs and clean-ups. The shop has new and used kid's bikes, some ugly-but-functional commuter bikes, and some classic-style road bikes that have been painstakingly restored by better mechanics than me, though I have one in progress.

The shop will probably close down when the autumn rains begin and we can't put them outside any more - there's no space to work with all the bikes inside.

All summer I've been meaning to treat myself to a day-trip ride to Birch Bay, but rainy weather, my job, and ordinary daily hassles always interfered. Since I got this job I've been riding from Ferndale two days a week, over a hilly 12-mile route through a scenic semi-rural area, to a sunny, breezy resort village by the bay. It's been kind of a working vacation, but the rolling hills and extra miles are tiring, along with working six days a week. I need to take some time off from everything soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment