Saturday, June 30, 2012

Buckets of Rain

Tonight I had to work late because of a flight delay. A 757-load of passengers bound for Las Vegas had to wait almost five hours, and they were getting restless and edgy, like bored third-graders, by the time they boarded at 9pm. They express their annoyance in passive-aggressive ways, littering and spilling drinks and leaving a lot of messes to be cleaned up. I didn't finish work until ten, making it a ten-hour day. My feet and back were aching the way they usually do at the end of a work-week, and this is only my second day. But then I had a lovely bike ride home to make up for it, the kind that blows all the day's aggravation and frustration right out of my mind.

I've been caught in the rain at least a few times in the past month, so on Wednesday I gave my bike a thorough cleaning and put new batteries in my head- and tail-lights - lucky timing because I haven't had to ride in the dark for a few months. Most nights I ride home between the dinner hour and my usual 10pm curfew, when there are small brown rabbits nibbling grass at the edge of the road and crickets singing in the ditches. Tonight was cool but comfortable, with a light rain that freshened the air without making it clammy or humid. I left off my rain jacket but only felt the rain as light drops on my face and spots on my glasses. It was very quiet - I guess crickets are only vocal at dusk.

Midnight now, and it's raining hard. Maybe summer will come in time for the Fourth of July.


1 comment:

  1. Way cool Anna and you make a good point about being aware of our state of mind and changing it when needed. Too smoky to ride in Salt Lake, but next week I'll be in Anacortes, so maybe I'll rent a bike and clear my lungs.

    ReplyDelete