Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Feels so much better

The morning after I picked up my new bike, as I was heading out the door to work, I discovered the front tire on my old bike was flat.  I'd meant to test-ride the Surly before taking it to work, but I was already about five minutes late getting out the door and didn't have time to fix the flat.  Good thing I had a back-up bike.  I've been riding the Surly sixteen miles a day, four days a week, to and from work since the first week of August - more than 150 miles already.

The Cross-Check comes equipped with a men's saddle, and the store didn't give me the option of ordering a women's saddle, based on the old misconception that men are normal and women are not, I guess.  The standard saddle has a largish hump on the nose, which puts painful pressure on some very tender soft tissue when I lean forward.  Moving the seat down about a quarter inch helped, but after only twelve or fifteen miles I'd find I was tilting my pelvis back to relieve pressure at the front, causing pain in my spine and low back muscles.  Luckily I still have the original Terry women's saddle from my K2.  The cover had weathered and split, but I patched it with moleskin and rubber cement and replaced the men's saddle.  It's just the thing - I've done a couple of 25-mile rides since, with no discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment