Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A missing paragraph . . .

I got my coffee and returned to the station.  This time an older woman at the ticket desk gave me the line:  "no bikes on this train" and she meant it.  She pointed out that my tickets didn't say "bike" on them, and I asked how I should know what the tickets are supposed to look like - there was a "B" designation somewhere on them.  She said there was no room even for a boxed bike.  She suggested going by Greyhound, or shipping by UPS, but by then the train departure time was only forty minutes away, too late to make other arrangements for my bike.  When she started to say something about "you bike riders . . . " I replied "hell, I can ride to Bellingham."  She refunded my ticket, and I headed for the Ladies' to change clothes.

Correction:  The Cascades train is actually an hour behind the Coast Starlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment