Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hovander Park


This is not actually Hovander Park.  It's a raspberry farm with Mt. Baker in the background.  I just thought it was time to add some color to the page.  I rode out this direction Saturday, on Northwest Avenue near Pole Road.  I wanted to do a flatter ride, but it's been cold and windy this week, and the headwind as I rode north made it feel like an uphill ride.

Hovander Park is in Ferndale, about 12-14 miles from the Civic Athletic Complex, near where I live. Hovander House is a historic farm house, and there is an herb garden, boardwalk and wetlands nearby at the Tennant Lake Interpretive Center.

In June the Bellingham Highland Games, the largest gathering of Scottish clans in the Pacific Northwest, are held at Hovander Park.  It is my usual birthday custom to ride my bike to the park to hear the pipe bands and treat myself to a scone with strawberries and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment